Pilling Ophthalmophantome

This rare 1880 classical head ophthalmophantome was made by George Pilling and Son, Philadelphia. the head is one of the earliest uses of aluminum casting and sits on a hinged cast iron base. These masks were created for aspiring eye surgeons to practice their skills. A slaughtered animal’s eye was clasped into place and the eye surgeon would practice surgeries such as cataract extraction on the practice eye.

SKU:

//